Coming back to school from winter break is a whole different ball game than when one comes back from summer vacation. You have the residual exhaustion from the semester before and your stress and tolerance levels are not nearly as high as when you came back from summer. As a student myself, I’ve experienced all of these feelings post winter break. However, I like to channel all of this weariness into something positive like sewing or knitting or a fun sort of exercise. This term, I channeled the past semester’s frustration much differently than I typically would: I dyed my hair.
Yes, I dyed my hair. Neon pink. Well, not all my hair—just the bottom half of it. It started out as an impromptu trip to Wal-Mart at 11:30 p.m. I was bored and needed a few trivial things like tissues and paper towels, so I headed on over to the store. As I was wandering the aisles, I passed by the hair dye. That’s when I decided to be spontaneous. It was really exciting to challenge myself to do something so bold, permanent and out of the blue. Come to think of it, it is amazing to think how it has influenced my college experience.
Five Ways Dyeing My Hair Pink Influenced My College Experience
- It flushed out all of my pent-up stress and frustration from the semester before.
- It gave me tons of newfound confidence,e especially when people complimented the awesome levels of pink in my hair.
- It made me feel bold and really gutsy. I certainly believe that it gave me the confidence to try things I have never done before like rock climbing and sailing.
- It has allowed me to meet new people in my classes that I had never talked to before. Apparently, pink hair is a really good conversation starter.
- It allowed me to live out a small amount of rebellion that was really fun and exciting. I believe that college is a great time to do things you never thought you would or could do, and once you do them, it really allows you to grow in new ways you’d never expect!